Volunteer Opportunities at the East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre Archive
East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre are currently recruiting volunteers to help provide public access to their newly catalogued archives.
We are looking to recruit a small team to assist us in invigilation of our reading room, retrieval of records and responding to enquiries from members of the public. Ideally we would like volunteers who are able to consistently commit to one day a month for a 12 month period. Please see below for more detailed information and how to apply.
Purpose of the role
Volunteers will help us to provide the public with access to the Mosque Archive for the very first time. Volunteers will work with researchers and those interested in learning about the East London Mosque Archives on site in our reading room at the London Muslim Centre. Volunteers will also be involved in caring for the Archive collections.
– Assist visitors to the Archive to search the catalogue and discover records that they are looking for.
– Retrieve records for researchers from the Archive strong room
– Supervise researchers in the Archive reading room
– Respond to some enquiries by email
London Muslim Centre,
46 – 92 Whitechapel Road
London E1 1JX
We are looking for volunteers who are willing to commit themselves to one half day a month for a minimum period of 12 months beginning in October 2014. Volunteers will also be required to attend training with the Mosque Archivist during August and September. . Volunteer travel expenses will be reimbursed where possible.
– Volunteers must be able to work as part of a small team and follow the instructions of a supervisor.
– Volunteers should have good communication skills.
– Volunteers should have an interest in local history is desirable.
– Basic computer skills would be preferable.
– The role requires some lifting.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying to be a volunteer please send your CV and a short cover letter (no more than one page) explaining why you would like to volunteer at the East London Mosque Archives and a little bit about your experience or suitability for the role. Applications will be accept up to Friday 25 July 2014.
All applications and enquiries should be directed to Eilís McCarthy, Project Archivist at East London Mosque, on email@example.com or call 020 7650 3046.