Message from the incoming MBRN Executive Committee
As many of you will know, at the recent event in Leeds, MBRN appointed and ratified a new Executive Committee consisting of Alison Scott-Baumann (Chair), Stephen Jones (General Secretary), Sadek Hamid (Committee Member), Ayesha Khan (Committee Member), Yahya Birt (Committee Member) and Mobeen Butt (Committee Member), who has agreed to stay on for a further term.
The new Committee would like to extend their gratitude to Sophie, Carl and Chris for all their hard work over the last three years. Their tenure has seen MBRN grow significantly in terms of the scale of its events, its membership, social media presence and its reach and impact beyond the academy.
As the new Committee Members have begun to familiarise themselves with MBRN’s operations, we have started to consider ways in which we would like MBRN to develop in the coming years. However, as the Executive Committee exists to serve MBRN members, we would like to take this opportunity to ask you all how you think the network should develop. We would welcome any feedback you have on the network and any ideas for developing MBRN’s work. These can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or the MBRN mailing-list for public consideration.
We have identified the following as priorities for the development of the network:
• To extend the website’s functionality so that it hosts blogs by members, provides resources for those researching and/or considering a career in the study of Muslim Britain, and acts as a platform to publicise recent research and publications.
• To extend MBRN’s contacts within local and national media, including the development of website-based guidance for people looking to access experts on Muslim Britain.
• To provide a lasting record of MBRN events by producing audio, video or written records of proceedings.
• To provide greater opportunities for early career support by the creation of a sub-network of early career scholars and events aimed at post-graduate students.
• To continue to extend MBRN’s reach and impact within and beyond the academy.
Alongside this, we are currently reviewing the mailing list and assessing the feasibility of migrating the list to a new platform following difficulties that some members have had signing up to the Yahoo list and managing their account. If we do move ahead with this it will not affect list members directly, and we will be notifying members in advance of any changes.
We are also actively seeking volunteers, of any career stage, to assist build the capacity of MBRN. This could involve working on specific projects, helping organise events, administering the website and social media platforms or just advising the committee. If you are interested in offering assistance, or if you would like to host an MBRN meeting at your institution, please get in contact.
Finally, we have been working hard planning for the next MBRN event. The event, pencilled in for September 2017, will look at the contemporary landscape of Muslim art, culture and heritage in Britain. More details will be made public very soon along with a call for papers.
With kind regards,
MBRN Executive Committee
Be part of the conversation:
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MuslimsInBritainResearchNetwork/
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/muslimsinbritainresearchnetwork/